This article covers how to send tag-targeted (or segmented) push notifications.
- To learn more about sending a broadcast push notification, check out this article.
- To learn more about sending a content-targeted push notification, check out this article.
- To learn more about sending a geo-targeted push notification, check out this article.
Getting Started with Tag-targeted Push Notifications (segmented)
In order to send a tag-targeted push message, you'll want to create some tags. Go to Profiles > Tags to create tags. (e.g. a private tag like 'Staff, that you'll manage on the back end, and another public tag like 'General,' 'Volunteers,' or 'Men's Group', where users will be able to subscribe from within the app.)
Public Tag or Private Tag?
After a tag has been created, click on it to manage whether it's public (available for users to subscribe to within the app), or private (users will be added to the tag by an admin on the back end).
- An example of a public tag is 'VBS Volunteers,' where anyone interested in learning more about volunteering for VBS can sign up to receive push messages related to volunteering for VBS.
- An example of a private tab is 'Staff,' a small, select group of people on staff at the church. These people will be added to the 'Staff' tag privately on the back end, and the 'Staff' tag won't be available for users to subscribe to within the app.
Turn on 'People can subscribe from app' if you would like people to be able to see this tag ('interest') and opt into receiving notifications about it (this is a 'public' tag, like VBS Volunteers). If you want the tag to remain 'private' and not be available for people to subscribe to within the app, leave this option turned off (like 'Staff').
In the example below, 'VBS Volunteers' is a 'Public' tag, so people will be able to see this tag under 'My Interests' inside of their profile and will be able to subscribe to it.
Private Segmented Push Notifications: Adding Users to a Tag
- To send a push message to people who are part of a private tag (like 'Staff'), each person needs to be tagged.
Since the tag is private and is not available for people to subscribe to within the app, tagging people to be part of this private tag will be done on the back end by the admin.
To add a person to a tag, go to Profiles > People, then check the box to the left of each person you would like to tag. Select “Tag [...] People,” choose the tag, and save your changes.
Public Segmented Push Notifications: Self-Tagging (within the app)
- People can opt into public tags within the app under their Profile. The profile can always be found by clicking the side menu inside of the app.
- Under the side menu, users will select their profile and then select the 'My Interests' section at the bottom of their profile to manage the interests (tags) they're part of.
- To subscribe or opt into an interest (tag), users can select the check mark next to the tag name. A green check mark indicates the user is subscribed to that interest (tag).
- To unsubscribe or opt out of an interest (tag), users can simply click the green check mark again. The icon will be greyed out, showing they are unsubscribed.
***Pro Tip: Send out a push notification encouraging your members to take a peek at different interests in-app by clicking on the "My Interest" button within their profile. Below is a screenshot of one of our partners who sent out a push notification encouraging their members to check out the "My Interests" section within their profile in-app.
Scheduling the Tag-targeted Push
- Under the 'Messaging' tab and 'Schedule A Message' dropdown, plug in the message you would like to send. Fill out the date and delivery time for the message.
- Select a tag under the 'Targeted Tag' dropdown to select a group.
- Toggle 'ON' the App Push button and then click 'Schedule Message.'
- *Important: If you would like a push message to go to everyone who has downloaded your app, regardless of whether they are part of a tag, you don't need to select a tag as you schedule the message.
- To delete a tag, go to Profiles > Tags, select the tag you would like to delete, then click the 'Delete' button.
- *Note: Please make sure you're 100% certain you want to remove the tag when you delete it. After a tag is deleted, users will be unsubscribed from that tags and will need to subscribe or be added to it again in the future.