A text message is the most direct path to reach someone and is read within a few seconds of being received, making this channel a timely, effective, and simple way to communicate.
Below are some ways to use text in your congregation:
- Urgent Messages. Prayer Requests, weather cancellations, and change of plans.
- Engagement. Encourage members to take part in devotionals, small groups, and upcoming events.
- Reminders. Send a message for upcoming meetings, special events, and sign-up deadlines.
- Raise Awareness. Build excitement around upcoming events with a teaser.
For more on Outbound Text use cases read this article.
In order to create a successful outbound text campaign, profiles need to have been created for the people you want to reach. Profiles can be added 3 ways:
- Manually (one at a time) by an admin. Go to the Profile > People page in the portal and click the Add Person button.
- Imported with a .csv file. Learn how to import from this article.
- Created automatically through a user action. If you have an aware3 app, a profile is created if a user gives via an aware3-powered channel (such as via app, text, or web), fills out an aware3 form, or checks in via the app.
Schedule a Message
Once profiles are added to the portal, you are ready to schedule an outbound text! To schedule a text, go to the Messaging > Schedule A Message page in the portal.
From there, you must define the message itself, select the day and time the text will go out, and decide who you want to reach with the text.
Enter Your Message
Write what you'd like to communicate to your church family!
*Note: Using URLs within your outbound text message is supported. Our team recommends using a url shortening service like bitly to shorten your URL. Shortening URLs enhances your member experience and helps your message stay within the character limit of 130.
Send Date and Send Time
The day along with when you would like the text to be delivered.
Who gets this message?
The message can be sent to everyone that has opted-in to text messages by selecting Send to everyone, or sent to a group of people that are segmented by a specific tag. Send to a tagged group when you want to reach people with similar interests, hobbies, volunteer experience, locations, and other similarities. It's a great way to segment your messages and helps to keep information relevant.
To pick a tagged group click on the box below Who gets this message? and select from the drop-down list of tags.
For more information on tags and how to use them read this article.
*Note: A user must opt-in to receive text messages. If they have yet to do that, they will not get the outbound text. For more information on the opt-in process read this article.
Next, toggle on Outbound Text and a breakdown of the message will display:
Click the Schedule Message button to confirm the text.
Manage Scheduled Messages and View Sent Messages
Go to the Messaging > Sent Messages page in the portal.
This page will serve as a communication hub where you can view what messages have gone out, view what's scheduled, and even delete messages.
Check out our short video on outbound text messaging below!
If you have any questions or need help, send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org!