Optimizing your site's URL structure can help search engines understand what content is on your page as well as make it easier to share your URL because they are shorter and more descriptive.
*Note: If you're thinking of updating your website URLs to be more SEO friendly, keep in mind that if you have any links throughout your website linking to the page you're changing, you will want to update all links to direct to the new URL.
- Do not use abbreviations in your URLs (such as your church abbreviation).
Do not shorten words or make meaningless abbreviations.
- No – www.yourdomain.com/cac
- Yes – www.yourdomain.com/church-advisory-council
Separate words using hyphens.
- No – www.yourdomain.com/mensministry
- Yes – www.yourdomain.com/mens-ministry
Do not make URLs too long. They are tough to remember, type, and can be viewed as spam by search engines.
- No – www.yourdomain.com/give-to-the-jane-doe-smith-memorial-scholarship-fund
- Yes – www.yourdomain.com/scholarship-fund-donation
Always use lowercase text, with no exceptions.
- Yes – www.yourdomain.com/FAQs
- Yes – www.yourdomain.com/faqs
Updating Your URLs
Updating your page URLs is easy to do through your Site Manager! Click into the properties for each page to update this information.
If you have any questions or need help, send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org!