The number of people who click into your website and continue to browse your website impacts your search engine rankings. The Meta Tag Description is one of the most important items for improving click-through rates from search results pages. The meta tag description (one to two sentences), appears below the title tag. Ideally, these sentences compel the user (a prospective or current family member) to visit your website.
Meta Tag Tips
- Include keywords. Be sure the most important keywords for your page appear in the meta tag description. If the meta tag description includes the searched-for phrase, search engines may highlight it in the results, making it even more likely the user will click into your website page.
- Put the most important information first. Search engines tend to cut off meta tag descriptions around 155 characters. It's best to write meta tag descriptions between 150-300 characters with the most important information first.
- Create curiosity. When a user finishes reading your meta tag description, they should be curious about what the page will say. Provide just enough information so the searcher knows they've found the right page to answer their question without giving the answer away.
- Treat it as an advertisement. Make your meta tag description compelling. What will they get by clicking into your page? Be sure not to overpromise. Misleading descriptions can increase bounce rate (when the user leaves your website right away).
Updating Your Meta Tag Description
You have the ability to update your Meta Tag Description in your Site Manager:
- Go to Site Manager.
- Click Page Builder.
- Select a main menu category.
- Locate the page you would like to update.
- Click the gear icon to the far right of the page title under Settings.
- Click the SEO tab.
- Type your description in the Meta Tag Description field.
If you have any questions or need help, send us a note at email@example.com!