Understand how to create optimized content for your website.
Inverted Pyramid Structure
If you've ever taken a journalism class, you may have heard of the inverted pyramid structure for writing content. The idea is to put the most important content toward the top of your page to capture readers' interest:
Most Important/Grab Attention
Call to Action
This concept also applies to website content. The inverted pyramid structure allows readers to see what information is on the page and keep reading if they need more information.
SEO Content Tips
- Include internal links and calls to action – What do you want the reader to do next? Include calls to action so the reader has a next step. Make sure your calls to action are utilizing action words. A link that says "Register Now" is more powerful than a link that says "Registration."
- Less is more – Be concise and consistent with your content. This is important for mobile as well. Users don't want to be scrolling through tons of paragraphs of content. Additionally, lists are better at keeping a reader focused than large paragraphs. Lists make it easier for people to skim through content and find what they're looking for faster.
- Make it personal – Use words like "you" and "your" to make your content feel more personal to the reader. Instead of "Students will have the opportunity to..." try: "Your student will have the opportunity to..."
- Utilize keywords – Include the terms and keywords you want to rank for within the content of your website pages. Remember that keywords should fit naturally into your content!
- Avoid jargon – Don't use words related to your church that visitors may not understand. For example, using an acronym. This may make sense to your current members, but not to a prospective members.
Article is closed for comments.