The implementation of a Text-to-Give system can help transform how a congregation thinks about and pursues generosity. If you can improve upon the giving experience, you just might get more donations. Read on to learn more about the basics of giving via text and the top ways to tie the experience into your service and throughout the week.
If you would like to add Text-to-Give to your account, send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Start a Gift
With Text-to-Give, your church will have a designated local phone number that people can text and give right on their phone. It works like this:
- Text "Give $100" or any other amount to your designated phone number.
- Follow the prompts in the text message.
- Enter your 4-digit passcode, or if this is your first time, register your credit/debit card or bank account.
- Confirm the amount, and a text receipt will be sent via a link as well as via email. In addition, if you have the app, a link to download your app will be included so donors can easily download the app.
- Make sure to save the phone number in your contacts as "Church Giving" so you can easily use it again.
Edit your Text-to-Give Payment Method
After an initial text gift, donors won't have to re-enter any payment info when making subsequent text gifts. However, donors may want to change their saved payment method. Here are the instructions for users to change the payment method during a gift:
- Text "Update" to the church's dedicated text number.
- Click the link when it prompts you to update your info.
- Enter your giving passcode at the prompt.
Enter a gift amount, choose a fund, and click the Next button.
Your personal info will appear. Enter your phone number, then click the Next button.
Change the payment method by deleting the saved card or bank account info. Enter new info.
Click the Process button to save your new payment method.
Get the Word Out
People will not use Text-to-Give if they do not know it is an option! Actively promote this new tool for the first few weeks, and be sure to provide periodic reminders. Below are ways to keep the Text-to-Give feature on the minds of your members:
- Introduction. Promote your Text-to-Give number and have members save the dedicated number to their contacts. During service, small groups, and conferences, encourage them to save your number right then and there, so they have it handy.
- Pass the Plate. When you encourage your congregation to give, remind them that they can set up recurring gifts with just one text. No more checks to write each Sunday!
- Sunday Morning. Dedicate a permanent section in your bulletin and Sunday slides; with instructions on how to begin a gift alongside your assigned text number.
- Leverage Text. Send an outbound text message that invites folks to text "Give" back to that same number!
- Printed Collateral.Post signs in public areas, such as the church lobby, the children's nursery, and the café.
- Emails. Send an email to your mailing list.
- Website. Explain the process on your website's home page. This will help it from becoming buried on your site.
- Social Media. Promote on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites that members of your congregation frequently visit.
Check out our short video on Text-to-Give below!
If you have any questions or need help, send us a note at email@example.com!