You can't assume people know about your app, why it's important, or even that you have one. Successful app adoption takes a little work, but it's 1000% worth it.
To help you with that effort, listed below are three powerful P's of successful app adoption. Use these strategies to get your members to use and love your church's app.
There's an old saying that goes something like this: people need to hear information seven times before they remember it. People have to know about an app to download it. And oftentimes, you have to tell your audience about it several times before they take action. So with that, promote, promote, promote your app! Of course, it shouldn't mean you promote in a car salesman-y way but in a genuine, "this app makes our church so much better" way.
It's also important to get creative with the where and how. Here are several thought starters:
- Put up fliers on community boards and posters in the halls.
- Post about it on social media and your website and include download links.
- Encourage your members to talk about it in their groups and daily lives.
- Call for a download challenge in your service.
- Send texts or push notifications promoting the app.
- Use the app as a part of your service: Do an in-app bible reading or live poll (lots of interactive possibilities!).
- Feature your app in a blog, newsletter, or email.
Lastly, it's critical to be clear about why they should download and consistently use it. Tell your members how easy it will make everything, from giving to signing up for events to sending in prayer requests. Talk up the benefits of having all church information and communication in one place. And don't forget to play up the fun! Everyone loves good podcasts, games, and worship music. Here are a few ideas on how to communicate the "why":
- Powerpoint template (Grab your free template here!).
- Create a promo video (It can be as simple as, "3 reasons why you should download the app and what you'll get out of it").
- Lunch & Learn after church.
- Get specific! Focus on important features at service, on social media, and more. For example, "2 reasons why you need to fill out your profile."
- Designate app ambassadors.
- Give people something to do immediately inside the app, like fill out a connection card, participate in a live poll, or check-in with your photo.
- Roll out a new feature every week for the first few weeks. (Keep things fun and fresh while they're still in the adoption phase!).
- Give your congregation a profile goal.
Make sure everyone knows how to access and download your app. One great way to do this is with a simple live preview or demo of the app. Show your members how to download it and then go through the app with them. This, by no means, should be an exhaustive list of everything your app can do. You don't want to overwhelm or throw too much at your members at once. The goal is to show your members the value it will bring to them and the church–and how easy it is to do it all!
On top of that, you can record a demo to reach members while they're at home or on the go. We love the idea of a mini series on your favorite features. For example, do three short videos, walking members through the processes of each feature while touting the benefits. One could sound something like this:
"Hi friends! Today, I'm going to quickly walk you through the giving feature on our app. Simply click here, choose your payment method and amount, and you're done! I love it because it's fast and convenient for those who don't like to carry cash or check. Thanks for watching – See ya Sunday"
This is just an example, but it follows a template: A personal touch + quick, step-by-step runthrough + tell why you love the feature.
*Note: Tell your members to fill out a profile. After your members download the app, tell them to complete their profile. Member profiles are a foundational part of your app. They help leaders like you get insights on who your members are, what they like viewing, and so much more. Profiles also connect members to each other. It's a win-win for everyone.
Luckily, the last tip is what you, as a church leader, do best, preach! Be enthusiastic. Get people excited about the app and the opportunities it opens up for them and your church.
Make it a part of your church's culture by infusing it into your church's regular experience. Encourage people to give with the app on Sunday (and beyond), do a group prayer from your in-app prayer requests, and even start your own podcast. When you integrate your app into your every day, it becomes second nature to your members.
Your app has all the potential to be a member favorite. It has the ability to entertain, engage, and make life easier for those who use it. When you promote, preview, and preach, you can connect members to your church in a whole new way.
If you have any questions or need help, send us a note at email@example.com!