Promote the Text-to-Give and Text-to-Act features just like you promote your app. Include your number and keywords in the bulletin, on your website, and sprinkled throughout conversations. On Sunday mornings, encourage your members to save your number right then and there, so they have it handy.
Take it to the next level and add a "Text Us" button within your app. This will provide a dedicated button where congregants may view, click, and have an SMS kicked off automatically.
Add a "Text Us" Button in App
Follow these steps to add a "Text Us" button:
1. You'll want to have your assigned text number handy. To find your number, click your organization's name at the top left of your portal, then select Campuses.
2. Once you have your number, go to the App > Features + Content page in your portal. Add a Links ("Link List") feature to put all your keywords under one button. Read this article for more on the Link List feature, and read this article to learn how to add a feature button.
3. Click the icon under the pencil icon under the Edit column to edit a link.
4. Add a Name and Address. The Name should be whatever you'd like to appear within the app. The Address should follow this format:
*Note: With keywords that are two separate words (e.g. Small Group), to format the address you'll want to place "%20" between the two:
5. You can even add Icons for faster and easier recognition in app.
Invite a Friend to Church
Use the Links feature to create an option within your app for your members to invite a friend to church via text from an IOS device or an android device.
Follow the below format for the Address section:
sms://&body=enter you message here!
You will want to use "%20" after each word you use in your message. For example if you are wanting your message to say, "You're invited! Join me at Aware3 Church on Sunday @ 10:30 am" you will want to use the following format:
sms://&body=enter your message here!
For Android devices you do not need to use %20 after each word within your message. You can simply type out your message in the address box. For example:
sms://&body=You're invited! Join me at Aware3 Church on Sunday @ 10:30am.
Encourage Individuals to Download Your App
You can also add your church's short link to your message, so the individual who receives this text message can quickly and easily download your church's app!
Android: sms://&body=You're invited! Join me at Aware3 Church on Sunday @ 10:30amhttps://a3a.me/aware3church
*Note: Make sure there are no spaces between the end of your message and your short link.
Your Member's Experience
In the app, when your members click on your "Invite A Friend" button, they will see two different ways to send a text message. They can send a text message on an iOS (Apple device) or an Android device.
After your member selects the type of device they will be sending a text message from, they will be directed to the area on their device where they can send and receive text messages. From there your members will be able to enter their friend's phone number and click send.
Once the text message inviting an individual to church has been sent, you will also see an app link for your friend to download your church's app quickly and easily if your app's short link was added to the format above.
If you have any questions or need help, send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Article is closed for comments.