The creation of a household allows admins to connect individual profiles to a single entity at a deeper level than just a relationship. Admins can establish, update, or delete households.
In addition, you will be able to do the following:
- Generate a year-end statement by household (see End of Year Giving Statements)
- Run a mailing list report for households in your system (See Mailing List Report)
- Download other reports by household units (see Reports)
Locate Households in the portal
Go to the Profiles > People page in your portal.
From the People page, click on the name of the person for whom you wish to view/add household information.
Within the profile, click the Connections tab. There is a section on the lower right-hand side that will display any existing household or will show an empty state if none yet exists.
Below is what you will see if no household is attached to the profile:
Create a New Household
Click the + Add Household button from the Connections page to open the following window:
Click the Create New Household button to open this window and fill out all the pertinent data for your household:
- Household Name: required field
- Envelope Name: not required, so If you do not wish to include a separate value for this then the Household Name will be populated in this field upon saving the household
- Household Salutation: not required, so If you do not wish to include a separate value for this then the Household Name will be populated in this field upon saving the household
- Giving Statements preference: here, you will choose Joint Household or Individual Statement. If you choose Joint and then generate the statement from the People List page for any person attached to a household, there will be a single consolidated statement created for that household.
To add people, type part of a person's name in the search box, and up to 50 matching results will be displayed from which to choose.
If you wish to create a new person profile at this point in order to add them to the household, click the Create Person link.
Once added, the new person will appear in the People in this Household list in the modal. Note that the first person added to a household will automatically be designated as the primary contact, as indicated by the blue crown icon next to their name. This designation can be changed to another household member via the Edit function, once additional members are added. See more on this below.
Add to an Existing Household
From the above window, click the Add to Existing Household button to open this window:
Begin typing in the search box to locate the desired household name:
Confirm your choice and click the Save button, or you may clear the selection via the ‘x’ and start over.
Edit a Household
To edit the household, click on the 3 dots icon under the Actions column on the Connections page where the households are listed.
Select Edit Household, and the edit window will open and allow you to update any information as desired.
To change the primary contact or remove someone, you can click on the Actions menu under People in this Household and choose Make Primary Contact.
*Note: you must choose a new primary contact before you can remove the existing primary contact from the household.
If you choose Remove from Household, a confirmation modal will display to complete or cancel the removal. Once completed, the person will no longer be in the household list in the edit modal, and no longer be displayed in the household’s list on the Connections page.
Remove a Household
To remove someone from a household, click on the 3 dots icon under the Actions column on the Connections page where the households are listed.
Select Delete Household, and a confirmation modal will display to complete or cancel the deletion. The household will be removed from the list. If it is the only household for this profile, the container will revert to the empty state.
If you have any questions or need help, send us a note at email@example.com!